There is just something about hardwood floors that can tie an entire room together. It holds a classic feel and compliments homes nicely. Maintenance for a hardwood floor is also surprisingly low and easy to maintain. Here you will find a few key examples of the dos and don'ts of up-keeping hardwood flooring in your home.
- DO maintain daily cleaning by sweeping or using a microfiber cloth to dust mop flooring
- DON'T use a sopping wet towel or mop to clean floor. If exposed to excessive amounts of water, the flooring could warp. Make sure to dry wood immediately.
- DO make sure to clean up any messes or spills immediately. Messes left uncleaned will soak into the flooring, leaving discoloration or a weakened spot.
- DON'T use cleaners high in oil or alcohol on wood flooring. Exposure to these will leave wood discolored and dull.
- DO trim your pet's nails! Keeping your pets groomed properly saves the hassle of them potentially getting hurt via a natural groove in the wood; it also keeps the flooring scratch free.
- DON'T wear high-heeled/stiletto type shoes on a hardwood floor. This kind of footwear can leave some nasty little marks.
- DO use cushioned pads to place under legs of various furniture placed along wood flooring. This makes it easier to move the furniture about without damaging it or the flooring.
- DON'T use any steam cleaner on wood flooring.
- DO use blinds or curtains in rooms with a lot of sunlight flowing through. Too much exposure to natural sunlight could cause the wood to bleach.
- DON'T use wax over a urethane finish.
- DO use a humidifier in winter to reduce wood shrinkage and humidity upwards of 55% (NWFA)
Having hardwood flooring is not too much to handle. In fact, the only real serious cleaning or coating only needs to be done roughly every 3 to 5 years, depending on the kind of traffic the flooring sees. Money put into properly installing hardwood flooring isdefinitely money well spent, especially for those who prefer a low maintenance interior!
As always the crew at Gator Clean can help you keep your hardwood floors sparkling for years to come! Fill out of handy free quote request to get started.