Here are eight practical tips to help your dryer vent stay clear longer:
1. Clean the lint screen. Pick lint off after every use. Handwash the screen occasionally to remove fabric softener residue (dry thoroughly before putting it back). Once monthly, use a skinny, long-handled brush to clear the lint trap, the cavity where the screen sits. (The first time I ever did this, to a 2-year-old dryer, I pulled out a softball-sized clump of dust.)
2. Clear around the dryer. Make sure the area under and behind your dryer is free of dust bunnies, animal hair, etc. Never stack your freshly washed clothes on top of the dryer.
3. Keep unhemmed or torn fabrics out of the dryer. Raw edges, such as those of quilt pieces or cleaning cloths, fray more easily, producing larger quantities of lint. Hem them first or line dry.
4. Avoid machine drying rubber or plastic. Bathmats, pet beds, running shoes, and other items containing rubber or plastic may deteriorate when machine dried. Particles can flake off, clogging your dryer vent.
5. Always air-dry dirty clothing or towels. If you dry, say, a sandy bathing suit, all that sand will end up in your dryer and its vent system. NOT a good idea. Air-dry soiled items instead.
6. Never cover the vent outlet with a screen. The vent flap should be sufficient to keep out small animals. A screen will trap some of the lint, which ought to be going outdoors.
7. Install a metal duct extender. If you haven't already, do yourself and your family a favor by installing a smooth metal duct extender (the piece that connects the dryer to the wall vent). Plastic and foil are easily crushed, restricting airflow ... not to mention that they're both flammable at high temperatures.
8. Buy a full-size dryer. Is it time to replace your dryer? Unless you're squeezed for space, purchase a full-size model, rather than a smaller, stackable one, and have it professionally installed. It will do a much better job of blowing air, as well as drying your laundry.
Contact Gator Clean today for an estimate on Dryer Vent Cleaning Services in Central Florida!